Located about 400 meters out to sea the off coast of isle of grain sits this amazing sea fort that is just full of hidden surprises, holes in the floor and tons of history
Construction began in 1848 but difficulties were soon encountered in laying the foundations and construction paused until 1853 where it took a further 2 years to finish and was build by Lincolnshire builders Kirk and Parry
Grain Tower is a mid-19th-century gun tower situated offshore just east of Grain, Kent, standing in the mouth of the River Medway. It was built along the same lines as the Martello towers that were constructed along the British and Irish coastlines in the early 19th century and is the last-built example of a gun tower of this type. It owed its existence to the need to protect the important dockyards at Sheerness and Chatham from a perceived French naval threat during a period of tension in the 1850s.
The guns remained in place through the First World War, when the Grain Tower found an additional purpose as one end of a boom defence stretching across the Medway to Sheerness. The massive iron chain from the boom is still present, wrapped around the base of the tower. A fixed timber section of the boom stood between the tower and the shoreline.The tower was disarmed in 1929
During the Second World War much bigger changes were made when the tower became the location, in 1939, for a twin 6-pdr. QF gun. A large roofed concrete emplacement was constructed on the roof to house the gun with a tall directing tower at its rear. A Defence Electric Light Emplacement was also added to the fabric of Grain Tower. At the tower’s rear, a brick and concrete barrack block standing on stilts was constructed to house the gun detachment. It is a freestanding structure but is connected to the tower via catwalks. In 1944 the tower was reduced to care and maintenance status before being decommissioned in 1956.
In 1986 the English Heritage designated the tower as a Grade II listed forming part of a broader scheduled monument designated in 1976 to cover “coastal artillery defences on the Isle of Grain
In 2005 a private owner purchased the fort for £500,000 and planed to convert it into a home how ever the price to do this was too much and then sold on again to another private owner in 2014 for £400,000 and currently applying to renovate the fort.
2020 the fort still stands and untouched but used by local fishermen and urban explorers.
Camelot Theme Park The History. The park opened in 1983 and was operating seasonally until late 2012. The park was based on the story of ‘Camelot, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table’. The local area was once covered by the largest lake in England Martin Mere, which was first drained in 1692 […]
Over Exposed The History. Built in the early 1940s this Boeing RB-29A Superfortress served as a photo recognisance plane for the following crews, 16th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 91st Reconnaissance Group, 311th Air Division in the strategic air command of USAF. The aircraft bore the name Over Exposed after it was flown in July 1946 by the […]